vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


12 November 2017

Sunday Stamps II - 152

1955 Canada, wildlife series
designer: Emanuel Otto Hahn
engraver: Silas Robert Allen

The Musk Ox (Ovibos moschatus) lives in the tundra of the Arctic. The name comes from the musky odour of the males during the rutting season. In winter, they live on roots, lichen and mosses and during the summer  months they feast on Arctic flowers and grasses. Its long, shaggy coat makes it appear larger than they really are. They are smaller than bison and about half the weight (4'-5', 400-900 lbs).

for the letter O - ox, ovibos

6 comments:

Heleen said...

I've always been fascinated by musk oxes. I've never seen them in real, but I love their shape, as a child I saw this animal in a book about prehistoric animals, from which I learned that this species must be very old.
Beautiful stamp!

Ana said...

oldie but goodie :)

Joy said...

I like the front on view.

Bob Scotney said...

This is a series I would like to see more of. I wouldn't want to tangle with a musk ox like this.

FinnBadger said...

Those are some soulful eyes on that ox. Great choice for today.

Mail Adventures said...

This is a wonderful animal!