vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


22 November 2015

Sunday Stamps II - 49

1975, Canada
Anne of Green Gables designed by Peter Swan, typographed by Bernard Reilander

Anne (with an 'e') of Green Gables was written in 1908 by Lucy Maud (without an 'e') Montgomery of Prince Edward Island. It is the first of a series of stories about a young orphan girl sent to live with a middle aged brother and sister to help out on their farm. She is a bright, imaginative and talkative girl and the book recounts her experiences in adapting to her new home in a close knit community. 

for children's stories

7 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

I love this stamp.
I'm not sure if the stamp I've chosen fits well today, but I just received it and I wanted to share it.

Joy said...

I never read it as a child but I do like the various film versions especially the one I think was made for TV and filmed on Prince Edward Island which looked gorgeous and featured a lot of beautiful cherry blossom,

Heleen said...

I didn't know this story. Nice stamp, thank you for sharing!

(And sure, Eva, I think your stamp of today very well matching, both the thoughts of all letters containig stories, which have passed the mailbox' entrance, and the child, who might have a story in itself, too!)

FinnBadger said...

I think we can all relate to the feeling of being in a new place and not bring sure how or if we for in, just like the mood depicted on the stamp

Bob Scotney said...

I had an article on houses in fiction published some time ago. One of the houses depicted was Green Gables. I had to read the book to be sure I got the description right. I wish I had known that this stamp existed at the time.

Mail Adventures said...

Just a coincidence: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/lisa-simpson-reads-anne-of-green-gables-1.3330594

VioletSky said...

thank you for this link! I never watch - or at least, rarely - so will have to find this episode.